April 4, 2016
Penne Bolognese Style
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time 30 min | Serves 4
- 1 lb 90% extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 jar (23.5 oz) Prego® Heart Smart™ Traditional Italian Sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp thing strips fresh basil leaves
- 8 oz (about 3 cups) whole wheat or whole grain penne pasta, cooked and drained (about 4 cups cooked)
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the beef, onion and carrots in a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat until the beef is well-browned, stirring often to separate meat. Pour off any fat.
- Stir the sauce and water in the skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in additional water, if needed, until desired consistency.
- Place the basil and penne into a large bowl. Add the beef mixture and toss to coat. Season to taste. Sprinkle with the cheese.
Nutritional Information (Per 1 serving)
- Calories: 537
- Total fat: 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1 g
- Cholesterol: 75 mg
- Sodium: 716 mg
- Carbs: 62.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 7.6 g
- Protein: 33.1 g