May 1, 2018
Summertime and the Livin’s Easy with these Homemade Frozen Treats!
It’s getting hot, hot, hot, so we’re cooling down with a whole host of DIY frozen treats that rival any ice cream truck’s snacks. Read on to find your new summertime favorite!
No Churn Ice Cream
Vanilla No Churn Ice Cream
- 1 14-ounce can Wholesome Pantry sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp ShopRite Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups ShopRite heavy cream, chilled
- In a large bowl, combine condensed milk and vanilla.
- In a stand mixture or with a hand mixer, whip the cream until stiff peaks form, about 3-4 minutes. Scoop out ½ cup of the whipped cream and gently fold it into the bowl with the condensed milk. Then fold in the rest of the whipped cream until fully combined, folding gently to avoid removing any of the air you whipped in earlier.
- Stir in any desired mix-ins (see below for ideas) and then gently pour mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 2 hours for soft-serve consistency, or 5 hours for firmer ice cream.
- For ice cream sandwiches – toast Wholesome Pantry Waffles in the toaster and let cool slightly before using as the base for your ice cream sandwich!
- Cherry, Apple, or Blueberry Pie: stir in ½ cup ShopRite Pie filling along with ½ cup crushed ShopRite Graham Crackers
- Fruity Cheesecake: stir in ¼ cup of your favorite Wholesome Pantry Preserves and ½ cup crushed Wholesome Pantry Vanilla Sandwich Crème Cookies
- Cookies and Cream: stir in 1 ½ cups crushed Wholesome Pantry chocolate sandwich cookies
- Cereal: stir in 1 1/2 cups crushed cereal of choice, such as ShopRite fruity crispy rice
No Churn Vegan “Nice” Cream
Chocolate Covered Pretzel Vegan Ice Cream
- 2 bananas, sliced and then frozen
- 1 tbsp ShopRite Cocoa Powder
- 1-2 tbsp Wholesome Pantry Almond or Soymilk (as needed)
- ½ cup ShopRite Gluten Free Pretzels, crushed
- Add frozen banana slices, cocoa powder and 1 tbsp of milk to a food processor and blend until mixture looks like soft serve ice cream, adding in a little more milk as needed to adjust the consistency. Fold in crushed pretzels and serve immediately.
Coconut Almond Vegan Ice Cream
- 2 bananas, sliced and then frozen
- ¼ cup Wholesome Pantry Canned Coconut milk, drained (just the solid part)
- ¼ cup Wholesome Pantry almonds, chopped
- ¼ cup Wholesome Pantry shredded coconut
- Add frozen banana slices and coconut milk to a food processor and blend until mixture looks like soft serve ice cream. Fold
Popsicles for the Kids
You don’t even need a recipe for this one! Simply fill otter popsicle molds (available at craft stores or online) with your family’s favorite fruit juice, like Wholesome Pantry Lemonade, Apple Juice and Grape Juice and freeze!
Cake Batter Yogurt Popsicles
- 1 cup Wholesome Pantry Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 cup Wholesome Pantry Milk of choice (almond, dairy etc)
- 1/4 cup sprinkle cake mix
- Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth, adding more milk as needed if mixture is too thick. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze until firm.
- 1 package ShopRite or Wholesome Pantry frozen fruit
- 1/2 cup Wholesome Pantry Vanilla Yogurt
- 1/2 cup cold water, or more as needed
- 2-3 tbsp Wholesome Pantry Organic Cane Sugar
- Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth, adding water as needed if mixture is too thick. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze until firm.
- Orange Creamsicle Variation: swap out water for coconut milk, and swap out frozen fruit for 1 cup orange juice. Add in 1 tbsp vanilla extract.
Granita for the Adults
- 4 cups frozen Wholesome Pantry of ShopRite fruit, like Mango Chunks or Berry Blend
- 2-3 tbsp lemon or lime juice (depending on flavor preferences)
- 3 tbsp Wholesome Pantry Organic Cane sugar
- Blend the fruit, juice, and sugar in blender or a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a shallow pan that fits inside your freezer, and freeze for 30 minutes. Remove from freezer and scrap with a fork, then place back in freezer and freeze for an additional 30 minutes.
- Repeat step 2 every 30 minutes, for about 4 hours, or until mixture looks frozen, dry and flaky.