September 18, 2017
Simple Holiday Baking with Betty Crocker
From caramel apple to pumpkin praline, show off your inner baker with these easy recipes from Betty Crocker!
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ butter recipe chocolate cake mix
- 1 box (4-serving size) Jell-O chocolate instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup Hershey semisweet chocolate chips (6 oz)
- 1/3 cup Hershey caramel topping
- 2 tablespoons Betty Crocker chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for fluted tube, dark or nonstick pan). Grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube cake pan or 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan, or spray with baking spray with flour.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, dry pudding mix, water, butter and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into pan.
- Bake 46 to 54 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in pan. Remove from pan to plate. Cool 10 minutes. Prick top of warm cake several times with fork; spread caramel topping over top of cake. Sprinkle with nuts. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Store covered.
Nanaimo Cookie Bars
- 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker™ double chocolate chunk cookie mix
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup Betty Crocker chopped nut topping or chopped walnuts
- 1 cup Bakers coconut
- 1 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons Jell-O vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 bag (12 oz) Hershey semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line bottom and sides of 13×9-inch pan with foil, leaving foil overhanging at 2 opposite sides of pan. In large bowl, stir cookie base ingredients until well mixed. Spread into pan; press lightly. Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until set. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In another large bowl, stir together powdered sugar and pudding mix. Add 1/3 cup butter and the milk; beat with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth (filling will be very thick). Spoon over cookie base; press evenly to cover. Refrigerate while making topping.
- In small microwaveable bowl, microwave topping ingredients uncovered on High 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds until melted and smooth. Spread over filling. Refrigerate uncovered until set, about 30 minutes.
- Use foil to lift bars from pan; pull foil from sides of bars. Cut into 9 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.
Caramel Apple Cake
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup Betty Crocker chopped pecans
- 2 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (about 2 1/3 cups)
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ yellow cake mix
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon McCormick apple pie spice
- 2/3 cup Betty Crocker™ Whipped fluffy white frosting
- ½ cup Cool Whip™ frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Caramel topping, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. In 1-quart heavy saucepan, cook butter, whipping cream and brown sugar over low heat, stirring occasionally, just until butter is melted. Pour into 13×9-inch pan. Sprinkle with pecans; top with sliced apples.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, eggs and apple pie spice with electric mixer on low speed until moistened, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Carefully spoon batter over apple mixture.
- Bake 41 to 47 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Loosen sides of cake from pan. Place heatproof serving platter upside down on pan; carefully turn platter and pan over. Let pan remain over cake about 1 minute so caramel can drizzle over cake. Remove pan.
- In small bowl, mix frosting and whipped topping. Serve warm cake topped with frosting mixture and drizzled with caramel topping. Store covered in refrigerator.
Praline Pumpkin Dessert
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons McCormick pumpkin pie spice
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ yellow cake mix or spice cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups Betty Crocker chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- Cool Whip™ frozen whipped topping
- Additional McCormick pumpkin pie spice, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease or spray bottom and sides of 13×9-inch pan. In medium bowl, beat pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar and 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice with wire whisk until smooth. Pour into pan.
- Sprinkle dry cake mix over pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle with pecans. Pour melted butter evenly over top.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 30 minutes.
- To serve, cut dessert into 4 rows by 3 rows. Serve warm or chilled with dollop of Cool Whip™ frozen whipped topping sprinkled with McCormick pumpkin pie spice. Store covered in refrigerator.