News & Views
These days, everyone is working harder to make healthy food choices AND stretch their food dollars. It can be a challenge, but with some pre-planning and smart shopping skills, it’s possible to save money and serve nutritious and delicious meals. Here are some tips for eating healthy while staying on a budget:
- Plan your meals before you shop – Check your pantry and freezer for ingredients you may already have and then make a list of the ones you need. ShopRite has a timesaving, smart phone app that lets you choose items on sale in the weekly circular and add them to a mobile list, along with other items you need to purchase. Check them off as you shop to stay on track and on budget! (Click here to down load the app)
- Do-it yourself –Prepackaged shredded cheese or washed and cut fruits and vegetables are convenient but it costs less to buy these items whole and do the prep work yourself.
- Buy fresh fruits and vegetables in season – Produce that’s in season is economical and delicious! Many of the most affordable vegetables are packed with nutrients, too.
- Cook once, eat twice — Make extra and freeze to save time and money. Or turn leftovers, like chicken or beef, into a taco meal or stir-fry.
- Stretch proteins or consider vegetarian alternatives – Plan main dish meals like casseroles, stews, stir-fries and salads to stretch more expensive meat or seafood ingredients.
- Choose store brands – ShopRite brands offer the same high quality as more expensive national brands. Compare and save in every aisle of the store. You’ll never have to sacrifice quality or flavor when you choose the ShopRite label!
There are many ways to cut costs and eat healthy—the more you know, the easier it is to watch your pennies and your waistline.