Warm Weather Food Safety
Hot Weather Food Safety Reminders
- Pack your cooler just before you hit the road. If you pack meat and poultry while it is still frozen it will stay colder longer.
- Pack foods in your cooler in reverse-use order—pack foods first that you are likely to use last. By doing this, you avoid having to unpack and repack the cooler along the way.
- Pack lots of ice and/or freezer packs to ensure a constant cold temperature. A full cooler will maintain a cold temperature longer than one that is partially filled.
- Keep the cooler out of direct sunlight.
- Keep drinks in a separate cooler from foods. The beverage cooler will be opened frequently while the food cooler stays closed.
- Take perishable foods in the smallest quantity needed and pack only the amount of food you think you‘ll use. Consider taking along non-perishable foods and snacks that don’t need to be refrigerated.
On-the-Run or On-the-Road?
If running warm water and soap are not available for handwashing, be sure you bring along disposable wipes or hand cleanser. Always clean hands before handling food!
For more information, visit www.befoodsafe.org