Sum it Up for Good Health!
At ShopRite, we know that today’s families are focused on building healthy, fit kids. It’s easy to do if you have the right tools. It starts with small simple steps that lead to healthy habits over time. We’re here to help you S.U.M. It Up for Better Health. This week, we’re starting with some easy ideas to help you make wellness a priority. You’ll find more ideas and healthy recipes at ShopRite.com each week.
1. Switch It! Swap out some treats and once-and-a-while foods for healthy everyday foods!
- White Bread, bagels and muffins —>Whole wheat bread, bagels and muffins
- Chocolate ice cream —> Low-fat chocolate frozen yogurt or pudding
- Peanut butter filled crackers —> Whole wheat crackers topped with peanut butter
- Chocolate chip cookies —> Low-fat chocolate graham crackers
- Bologna sandwich on white bread —> Turkey on a whole wheat pita
- Fruit snacks —> Fresh or dried fruit like raisins or apricots
- Potato chips —> Baked chips or pretzels
2. Up It! Kids need nutrients for proper growth and optimal performance in school! Follow these tips to up their intake of healthy foods!
Fruits and Veggies!
Provide a fruit or veggie at every meal and snack! Aim for about ½ cup serving and offer a new variety every day!
Kids need 3 servings of dairy foods every day. Choose low-fat or fat-free options. Lunch box favorites are: string cheese, low-fat chocolate milk, and low-fat yogurt!
Make half of their grains whole by incorporating whole grains into meals and snacks. Choose whole grain cereals, pasta, and breads. Read the label for 100% whole grain!
3. Move It! Get your little ones up and moving with physical activity every day. Make it a family affair and incorporate it into your daily routine!
Instead of this —> Move It!
- Watch a TV program after dinner —>Take a family walk after dinner
- Play a board game —> Have a backyard scavenger hunt
- Surf the web —>Take a bike ride
- Play a video game —>Play catch, soccer or kickball outdoors