Hot Product Reviews: Mexican
Mexican-inspired meals can add spice to those same old weeknight dinners. At ShopRite we have the products you’ll need to make any meal a Cinco de Mayo treat.
1. ShopRite 99% Fat Free Ground Turkey made with 100% Breast Meat
Ground poultry is a great alternative to ground beef when making tacos, nachos or enchiladas. Because this turkey is all breast meat, it has less it has less saturated fat and calories than ground turkey that is only 93% lean. A 4-ounce serving provides about 120 calories and 0 grams saturated fat. Here’s how you can add ShopRite ground turkey breast to your meal plan:
- Cook ground turkey with taco seasoning mix. Then top baked tortilla chips with turkey, low-fat cheddar cheese, olives and salsa for quick and easy nachos.
- Fill a whole-grain pita pocket with cooked turkey and taco seasoning. Fill with lettuce, tomato, black beans and salsa for a pita pocket taco salad!
2. ShopRite Taco Seasoning
Taco seasoning can be used for more than just spicing up ground beef or turkey. Try keeping a few packets on hand for dips, casseroles, and homemade dressings and sauces. Your food will be delicious without a lot of added fat or calories. Here’s how you can flavor your meals with ShopRite taco seasoning:
- Sprinkle taco seasoning into reduced-fat sour cream or low-fat Greek yogurt for a creamy Baja-style dip for tacos and fajitas.
- Use taco seasoning as a rub for grilled lean meats like sirloin, London broil or flank steak.
- Toss shredded low-fat cheddar or Monterey jack cheese with a tablespoon of taco seasoning for lowfat taco cheese. Melt over nachos or sprinkle on top a bowl of vegetarian chili.
- Canned refried beans can be high in saturated fat. Make your own healthier version by sautéing black or pinto beans in a medium size skillet with ¼ cup of water. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and mash with the back of your spoon until creamy.
3. Pepito Mini Corn Tortillas
Pepito mini corn tortillas are perfect for a gluten-free diet because they are made with ground corn instead of white flour. Since they are mini in size, they provide built-in portion control with just 120 calories for two tortillas. Ground corn flour is a whole grain, making it a good source of fiber with 3 grams per serving. Here’s how you can cook with Pepito mini corn tortillas:
- Layer corn tortillas, cooked taco meat, beans, salsa, and low-fat cheese in a casserole dish. Bake until cheese is melted and tortillas are crispy. Top with guacamole, shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes for Mexican lasagna.
- Make mini quesadillas with any leftover veggies and lean meat or poultry you have on hand. Heat in a skillet to melt cheese and warm up fillings.