Heart Healthy Grab ‘n Go!
Following a healthy diet can be tough when you’re always on the run. While fast food and packaged items offer convenience, it can be difficult to fit them into a healthy eating plan. Here are a few heart-healthy grab‘n go meal ideas. Each is low in fat, sodium and cholesterol while still providing essential nutrients like fiber, protein, calcium, and heart-healthy unsaturated fats.
This is the one meal that most people skip on busy mornings. Set the right tone for your day by grabbing a quick and healthy breakfast that you can eat before leaving the house or once you sit down at your desk.
· 1 100% whole-wheat Thomas’s® mini bagel spread with 2 Tbsp peanut butter
· 1 small apple, pear, orange, or banana
· 8 ounces skim or 1% milk
Switch things up and try a whole-grain waffle in place of the bagel, low-fat yogurt, instant oatmeal, or a low-fat cheese stick.
Pack a brown bag the night before. You’ll save time, fat, and calories!
· Pack ½ cup of baby carrot sticks with ¼ cup ShopRite hummus
· 1 Chicken of the Sea® ready to eat tuna or salmon with 2 tsp light mayonnaise
· 10 ShopRite Whole Wheat Wafers – baked
· 1 container Dannon® 0% Greek yogurt
Switch things up by using pepper or celery strips with the hummus or put tuna over a green salad with a low-fat dressing. Choose water or unsweetened tea as a beverage with no added calories.
Dinner may require a bit more prep time than breakfast or lunch, especially if you are serving a family. Here are a few items you can grab from your freezer and turn into a delicious dinner in minutes.
· Ore Ida® Steam ‘n Mash cut russet potatoes – cook to package instructions using skim milk and trans fat free margarine in place of butter
· 1 store bought cooked Rotisserie chicken or turkey breast, skin removed
· 1 bag ShopRite® Steam in Bag California blend
Top veggies with toasted almond slices or melted low-fat cheese. Serve with whole grain dinner rolls and a green salad.
Snacks are an important part of any healthy diet. Here are some ideas for smart snacking:
· 100 calorie mini bags of popcorn or nuts, Low-fat string cheese with whole grain crackers
· Low- fat yogurt mixed with fruit, Hard-boiled egg
· Low-fat cottage cheese mixed with almonds and a drop of honey