July 19, 2017
Stay Hydrated All Summer Long
At ShopRite, we’re all about helping you stay hydrated and healthy. After all, staying hydrated can keep you cool, aid in digestion, control hunger and energize your muscles after exercise. After tapping the expertise of our dietitians, we’re turning on the flow of Go H20! So, during your next shopping visit, mix it up with water-rich foods to help you and your family enjoy better hydration in refreshing new ways – and eat well every day.
Citrus-Thyme Iced Tea
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Brew Time: 5 minutes | Serves 6
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 Lipton® Iced Tea Brew Family Size Tea Bags
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 cup 100% orange juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- Pour 4 cups boiling water over Lipton® Iced Tea Brew Family Size Tea Bags and thyme. Brew 5 minutes. Remove Tea Bags and thyme.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and chill until ready to serve. Serve in ice-filled glasses and sweeten as desired.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories 25, Calories from Fat 0, Total Fat 0g, Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 5mg, Total Carbs 6g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 4g, Protein 0g, Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 30%, Calcium 2%, Iron 0%
Hot Pepper Blackened Shrimp and Watermelon Kabobs
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 5 minutes | Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Grill Mates® Hot Pepper Blackened Seasoning
- 1 pound large shrimp (26 to 30 count), peeled and deveined
- 26 to 30 seedless watermelon cubes (1-inch cubes)
- MIX honey, orange juice and Seasoning in large bowl. Add shrimp; toss to coat well. Thread shrimp and watermelon cubes alternately onto skewers.
- GRILL over medium heat 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink, turning occasionally.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 153 Calories, Fat 1g, Protein 19g, Carbohydrates 17g, Cholesterol 168mg, Sodium 480mg, Fiber 1g
Stone Fruit Salsa with Spiced Crisps
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 8 minutes | 30 minutes chill time extra | Makes 2 cups salsa; Serves 8
Stone fruit salsa:
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1 large peach, pitted and diced
- 1 medium red plum, pitted and diced
- 9 cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 4 (7-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- For the salsa: In a small bowl combine honey, lime juice and lime zest; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl combine peach, plum and cherries. Drizzle with honey mixture; toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.
- For the crisps: Preheat oven to 400°F. Place tortillas in a single layer on two baking sheets. Cut each tortilla into 6 wedges. Lightly brush tortillas with water. In a small bowl combine sugar and cinnamon. Evenly sprinkle sugar mixture over tortillas.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Transfer crisps to a cooling rack, and let cool completely. Serve crisps with salsa.
Nutrition Per Serving: 100 calories, 1.5g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 2g protein
Servings: Varies, depending on watermelon size
- 1 watermelon, washed and cut into chunks.
- Blend 2-3 cups watermelon at a time until smooth. Strain into serving pitcher, if desired. Note: If not strained, juice will need to be stirred until blended prior to serving.
Strawberry Caprese Skewers
Prep time: 15 minutes | 15 minutes stand time extra | Makes 16 (1-skewer) servings
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 16 whole strawberries (about 1 pint)
- 16 small basil leaves
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. fresh mozzarella balls (bocconcini), drained
- For the vinaigrette: In a small bowl whisk together oil, vinegar, sugar, and pepper to taste; let stand 15 minutes for the flavors to blend.
- On each of 16 toothpicks or small skewers alternately thread 1 strawberry, 1 basil leaf and 1 mozzarella ball. Transfer skewers to a serving platter; brush with vinaigrette, and serve.
Nutrition per serving: 50 calories, 4g fat, 2g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 2g protein
Fresh Fruit Spritzer
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves 6
- 1 bottle (25.4 ounces) cold white sparkling grape juice
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract
- 1 can (12 ounces) cold club soda or seltzer
- 1 cup cut-up fresh berries
- 1/2 cup cut-up fresh grapes
- 1/2 cup cut-up fresh oranges
- MIX sparkling grape juice, apple juice concentrate and lemon extract in large pitcher.
- STIR in club soda and fruit. Serve immediately in tall ice-filled glasses.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 148 Calories, Fat 0g, Protein 0g, Carbohydrates 37g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 24mg, Fiber 1g
Summer Swell Green Iced Tea
- 1 stalk Fresh Lemon Grass
- 7 slices fresh ginger
- 5 bags Tetley Green Tea
- Honey – optional or according to taste
- Orange or lemon for garnish
- Cut the Lemon Grass into 2 inch length and then crush it with a knife after rinsing it clean thoroughly.
- Combine 2 cups of water, honey, lemongrass and ginger to boil in a saucepan
- Take off the pan from heat, add green tea bags and steep the tea for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags if you think the flavor is strong and let the tea cool for about 30 minutes.
- Pour the tea into a pitcher through a fine strainer. Cover the tea and keep it chilled until cold for at least 2 hours and divide the tea into four different ice filled glasses.
- Garnish with lemon orange wedges.
Mixed Berry Gazpacho with Fresh Mint
Prep time: 10 minutes | 1 hour chill time extra | Serves 4
- 5 cups frozen mixed berries, thawed
- 2 tbsp. turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 tsp. lime zest
Toppings (optional): fat-free vanilla frozen yogurt, freshly chopped mint
- In a blender combine berries, sugar, pineapple juice, apple juice and lime zest; cover and blend until smooth. Transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Ladle gazpacho into bowls, add desired toppings, and serve.
Nutrition Per serving: 130 calories, 0.5g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 1g protein
Cabot Peach Recovery Smoothie
- 1 cup Cabot 2% Plain Greek-Style Yogurt
- 1 cup pure coconut water
- 2 peaches, pitted and quartered
- 1 banana, peeled and broken in half
- ½ cup ice cubes
- COMBINE yogurt, coconut water, peaches, banana and ice in a blender. Puree until smooth, 30 to 45 seconds.
Nutrition Per Serving: Calories: 218 Total Fat: 3.5g Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 127mg Carbohydrates: 40g Dietary Fiber: 5g Protein: 13.5g Calcium: 232mg
Honeydew−Blueberry Ice Pops
Prep Time: 15 minutes* | Cook Time: 3 minutes* | *cooling time plus 12 hours freeze time extra
- 1/2 honeydew, seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pts. blueberries
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 2 tbsp. ShopRite Honey
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped
- fresh mint
- In a blender combine honeydew, blueberries and lime juice; blend to a smooth purée. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine honey, 1/2 cup water, lime zest and mint. Place over high heat; bring to boiling. Remove pan from heat and let cool completely.
- Strain honey mixture; stir into melon purée. Pour evenly into ice pop molds. Freeze at least 12 hours. Makes 12 pops.
Nutrition Per Serving: 50 calories, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 11g total sugars, 3g added sugars, 1g protein
Serving suggestion: Serve with a kiwi and strawberry salad.
Fruit Salad Smoothie
Prep: 10 min. Makes: 4 servings
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup vanilla nonfat yogurt
- 1 pkg. (5 oz.) DOLE® Baby Spinach
- 1/2 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup red grapes, frozen
- 1/2 cup pineapple, chopped
- 1/2 cup mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced
- 4 to 6 ice cubes
- Combine pineapple juice, yogurt and baby greens in blender.
- Add berries, grapes, pineapple and mandarin oranges; blend until smooth.
- Add banana; blend until smooth.
- Add ice cubes as needed to get a slushy consistency.
Tropical Berry Breeze
Prep: 30 min. Makes: 20 servings
- 1 pkg. fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 pkg. fresh blueberries, scored
- 3 cups pineapple, cut into chunks
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 gallon bottled water
- Layer strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, oranges and mint in large beverage dispenser. Pour water over fruit mixture; let stand for at least 30 minutes. Serve over ice.
Strawberry Almond Butter Smoothie
Serves: 2 | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup V8 V-Fusion® Strawberry Banana, chilled
- 1 large banana (frozen, if desired)
- 1 cup vanilla nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
1. Add the juice, banana, yogurt and almond butter to a blender. Cover and blend until the mixture is smooth. Top with diced fresh fruit, chia seeds or flaxseed, if desired.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 206, Total Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 0.5g, Cholesterol: 5g, Sodium: 80mg, Total Carbohydrate: 35.2g, Dietary Fiber: 2.5g, Protein: 8.7g, Vitamin A: 25%, Vitamin C: 60% Calcium: 10%, Iron: 6%