September 1, 2014
ShopRite Sunscreen | Sun Safety Tips for the Family
Summer is my favorite season and we still have several weeks left of hot weather and extreme sun exposure. It’s important to always apply sunscreen when your activities take you outdoors. Whether it’s a walk in the park, a day at the beach or an afternoon in the pool, sun protection is crucial.
ShopRite recently sent me a package of four different sunscreens. I was pleasantly surprised and excited to try the product since our family uses a lot of sunscreen during the warmer months.
I spend a lot of time in the yard grilling, entertaining company and gardening. Our toddler son loves the pool and the beach. I always make sure I keep sunscreen in my gym bag, beach bag and at close reach when we’re in the yard. Here are some tips to make sure you are always prepared for outdoor activities and protected from harmful UV rays:
- Always apply sun protection at least 15-30 minutes before heading outdoors and reapply frequently (according to package directions), especially after spending time in the water.
- Help your children apply sunscreen. Older children may be able to use sprays on their own, but I like to spray sunscreen on my hands and rub it on my toddler to avoid getting the product in his eyes and mouth.
- Keep sunscreen close at hand during outdoor activities. I like to sit a bottle of sunscreen and a bottle of bug repellant on our deck when we are entertaining outdoors. It keeps everyone safe and comfortable.
- Check the date on your sunscreen. You can typically keep sunscreen for three years, but check the expiration dates on products at the beginning of each season.
- Choose the appropriate SPF for your situation and your skin type. SPF 15 offers enough protection for many people, but if you have fair skin or a history of skin cancer you should choose a higher SPF. Dermatologists recommend an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Everyone needs sun protection, regardless of skin color! Darker-skinned people can and do suffer sun damage.
- Check out affordable brands like ShopRite. They offer the same protection in the same convenient spray bottle at a lower cost than national brands.
My family felt that the ShopRite brand sunscreen was just as good as any name brand we’ve tried. I prefer the conveniences of a spray bottle since it allows me to apply sunscreen to hard to reach areas. Next time you need to replenish your stock of sunscreen, consider picking up ShopRite brand on your grocery run.