April 24, 2017
Our Dietitians’ Top 10 Picks Transform into Easy Family Recipes!
We asked our Registered Dietitians to pick 10 nutritious and delicious foods that they want our shoppers to try. And, voilà, our Dietitian’s Top 10 Picks were born! We’re sharing some fun and easy recipes so you can incorporate more of these Top 10 Picks into your family’s every day eats so you can live #welleveryday .
Pick 1 & 2 – Seeds and Fruit
Blueberry Ricotta Toast
Yield: 1 serving | Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 1 slice eureka!® Saaa-Wheat!® Organic Bread
- 1 tablespoon ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon shredded coconut
- 20 blueberries
- Toast bread.
- Spread ricotta cheese on one side of bread.
- Arrange blueberries on ricotta cheese.
- Sprinkle coconut on top.
- 4 Peaches, sliced in half
- olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 1/2 cup Dole Frozen Blueberries
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Brush peach halves with olive oil.
- Place on hot grill and grill until softened and caramelized, about 4-5 minutes
- Top with a dollop of creme fraiche and frozen blueberries. Serve immediately.
Raspberry Smoothie Bowl
- 1-1/2 cups frozen DOLE® Organic Whole Raspberries plus additional for garnish
- 1 medium banana(s)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons hemp hearts
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoons cacao nibs
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar or honey
- Combine strawberries, banana, and almond milk in blender. Cover; blend until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Divide mixture between two bowls
- Top smoothie bowls with hemp hearts, coconut, almonds, and cacao nibs. Drizzle with agave nectar.
Picks 3 & 4 – Beans and Eggs
Organic Mama Veggie Frittata
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes | 12 servings
- 1 tsp Organic Valley Butter
- 1 medium-sized Organic Valley Red Onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups spinach leaves, torn
- 9 Organic Valley Large Brown Eggs
- 1⁄2tsp black pepper
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 1⁄2cup Organic Valley Feta Cheese Crumbles
- 1⁄2tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Wash and tear spinach, chop and shred all other veggies. Whisk eggs, sea salt, pepper and paprika in a medium bowl to blend.
- Grease the inside of a 9-in baking pan with butter. Add prepared vegetables and egg mixture. Stir gently to combine.
- Sprinkle with tomatoes, fresh basil and feta crumbles.
- Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until fluffy, golden and set in the middle.
Picks 5 & 6 – Greek Yogurt and Nuts
BBQ Yogurt Dip
Makes about 2 cups for 8 appetizer servings
- 1 cup Cabot 2% Plain Greek-Style Yogurt
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1-2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 tablespoon favorite BBQ sauce
- MIX together yogurt, cream cheese, green onions, lemon juice, salt, pepper and other spices (except BBQ sauce) until well blended.
- PACK into small bowl or mold, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until firm.
- SERVE in bowl or unmold onto plate. Spoon stripe of BBQ sauce across top for garnish.
Chocolate Strawberry Greek Yogurt Parfait
- 1 container plain or vanilla Wholesome Pantry Greek Yogurt
- 1 Emerald 100-Calorie Pack Cocoa Roasted Almonds
- 2-3 strawberries, roughly chopped
- Layer yogurt, almonds and strawberries in a glass and serve.
- For on the go option: simply add almonds and strawberries to yogurt in its container and stir to combine!
Tropical Smoothie Bowls
Servings: 2 | Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 6 oz plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup chopped frozen mango
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 small banana, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 Tbs whole cashews
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp flaked coconut
- In blender, place yogurt, pineapple, mango and pineapple juice. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour into 2 bowls. Top with toppings.
Picks 7 & 8 – Avocados and Whole Grains
Savory Oatmeal–Lentil Bowls
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Serves 2; makes 1 cup per serving
- 1/2 cup red lentils, sorted, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. no-salt-added Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup quick steel-cut oats
- 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 (3-oz.) fully-cooked Italian chicken sausages, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch pieces
Toppings (optional): Halved grape tomatoes, sliced green onions, avocado slices, Sriracha, toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped fresh parsley or basil
- In a large saucepan add lentils and broth; bring broth to boiling over medium-high heat. Add seasoning and garlic. Stir; reduce heat to low. Cover with lid and simmer 6 minutes. Stir in oats and lemon juice. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until sausages are heated through, turning frequently.
- Spoon lentil mixture into individual bowls. Top with sausage and desired toppings, and serve.
Per serving: 420 calories, 12g fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 70mg cholesterol, 590mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 34g protein
AVOCADO TOAST MAKE IT YOUR WAY
Serves: 1 | Total time: 5 min
- 1 slice of whole grain bread
- ½ ripe, Avocados from Mexico, mashed
- Add your own toppings (below)
Choose Your Own Toppings:
- Salsa Olé: Salsa + Lime Juice
- Tropical: Mango + Coconut Flakes
- Spicy Eggs: Fried Egg + Siracha drizzle
- Berry Berry: Strawberries + Blueberries
- Chunky Monkey: Chocolate Chips + Banana
- Miss Piggy: Bacon + Honey
- Peachy Keen: Peaches + Raspberries
- Pom Poms: Pomagranate Arils + Pineapple
- Rainbow: Watermelon + Canteloupe
- Surfs Up: Smoked Salmon + Tomato
Picks 9 & 10 – Veggies and Salmon
Vegan Spicy Spinach Dip
Yield: 4 servings | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 0 minutes
- 5 slices eureka!® Seeds The Day® Organic Bread
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons miso paste
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ cup water
- In a food processor, blend everything except bread together until smooth.
- Toast bread and slice into triangles.
- Transfer dip and toast points to serving platter and enjoy.
Veggie Pizza Toast
Yield: 4 servings | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 4 slices eureka!® Seeds The Day® Organic Bread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ red onion, sliced thin
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup baby kale leaves
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion and cook until just starting to soften (approximately 5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine tomatoes with remaining olive oil, salt, pepper, parmesan and baby kale. Mix well until coated.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Arrange bread on top. Divide tomato mixture among bread slices. Top each with caramelized onions and shredded mozzarella. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes, if using, and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly (approximately 10 minutes).