June 21, 2017
6 Flavor-Packed Grain Salads for When You’re Tired of Lettuce
Tired of packing up the same old spinach salad for lunch? Switch things up with any of these flavor-packed grain salads!
Farro Salad with Roasted Vegetables
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Makes 6 servings
- 4 cups water
- 1 ½ cups Wholesome Pantry farro
- 1 cup roasted vegetables of your choice (zucchini, tomatoes, asparagus)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup ShopRite Imported extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons ShopRite Imported Balsamic Vinegar
- Add farro to 4 cups boiling water and boil until tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Add roasted vegetables to cooked SR farro and drizzle with ShopRite Imported olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Season with fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt and fresh ground pepper.
Asparagus Freekeh Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Serves 4
- 1 tbsp. tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup uncooked, cracked freekeh*
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- For the sauce, in a small bowl whisk together tahini and 2 tablespoons boiling water until smooth. Whisk in yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook freekeh according to package directions, and let cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boiling. Add asparagus; cook 4 minutes or just until asparagus turns bright green. Drain asparagus; rinse with cold water. Drain again. Pat asparagus dry with paper towels, and arrange on a serving platter. Top with tomatoes and cooked freekeh. Drizzle with sauce, and serve.
Cook’s tip: Yogurt sauce can be made ahead, covered tightly and refrigerated for up to a week.
Strawberry Balsamic Couscous Salad
Preparation Time: 15 minutes | Servings: 4
- 1 box Near East Parmesan Couscous
- Grilled chicken
- 1 bunches fresh spinach
- 1 cup strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the couscous according to the instructions on the box. Cool to room temperature
- Combine cooked couscous, spinach, and strawberries in a large bowl
- Toss with olive oil and balsamic, and sprinkle with almonds. Serve next to chicken
Wheat Berries with Blackberries & Goat Cheese
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | 15 minutes cooling time extra | Serves 6
- 2 cups uncooked wheat berries
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (from 2 oranges)
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp. grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 oz. crumbled goat cheese (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
- In a large saucepan combine wheat berries, broth and 2 1/2 cups water; bring to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, then let cool 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, for the dressing, in a medium bowl whisk together orange juice, oil, honey, mint, orange zest, and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle dressing over wheat berries; toss to coat. Add blackberries and (if desired) goat cheese and pecans. Toss to coat, and serve.
Cracked Wheat Salad
Servings: 6 | Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup cracked bulgur wheat, fine-medium grind
- 1 1/2 cup seeded, chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped seedless cucumber
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tsp freshly grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place wheat in a large bowl; add 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Cover and let stand 30 to 45 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Add tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, onions, lemon peel, lemon juice, oil, and salt and pepper to taste; toss. Cover and chill 1 hour before serving.
Black Bean Rice Salad
Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time:25 minutes | Makes 8 servings
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 3 Tbs orange juice
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp McCormick® Cilantro Leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp McCormick® Cumin, Ground
- 1 tsp McCormick® California Style Garlic Salt with Parsley
- 1/2 tsp McCormick® Chili Powder
- Bring chicken broth and water to boil in 2-quart saucepan. Add rice. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Spoon rice into large bowl; cool slightly.
- Add beans, red and green bell peppers and onion to rice. Mix dressing ingredients in small bowl. Pour over rice mixture; toss gently. Cover.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours to allow flavors to blend.