The Fourth of July, BBQs, long hot days … we are smack in the heat of summer! Many of us will be spending a lot of time outside grilling, running around playing kick the can or wiffle ball, and eating red white and blue popsicles that will inevitably melt before you finish it and get all over your chin. Ah … that’s livin’!
7-up pound cake is a great old-fashioned recipe that is as American as apple pie, Norman Rockwell, and Aaron Copland. Guaranteed most people have eaten this cake lovingly made by their grandmother.
I have always wanted to make it, but after reading what the ingredients are, I always hesitated, since it looked like a toothache in the making.
When ShopRite recently sent an array of their imported mineral waters, one of which was lemon, it was as if a light bulb went off over my head! Huzzah! I can finally make this and not have to go to the dentist immediately after for a root canal!
This is a lighter version of an old favorite. I highly recommend you try it.
And, in the great spirit of the just passed Fourth of July, I think Uncle Sam would greatly appreciate it if YOU! would grill the slices of pound cake when they are finished baking. It is as if you are eating something sculpted by the Greek Gods, but it’s American of course, because you’re grilling it, and what’s more American than grilling? NOTHING!
Grilled Pound Cake
Yields: 12 to 15 servings
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and heavily grease a bundt pan cake, set it aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter. Add the sugar, mixing until fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined.
4. Add the lemon and vanilla extract, as well as the mineral water, beating until well-combined, approximately a minute or so.
5. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
6. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes before removing from the pan.
7. Slice the cake into 1 and 1/2 inch slices and lightly butter the sides.
8. Place on top of your grill (on medium-low heat if a gas grill or using indirect heat from a charcoal grill) for about 2 minutes per side.
9. Serve with ice cream or fresh fruit! And enjoy!!!!
IMPORTANT NOTICE: As a POTLUCKTM blogger, I received the ShopRite Imported Lemon Mineral Water from ShopRite for free.