October 30, 2017
Healthy Holidays with Our Health and Wellness Team
At ShopRite, we’re excited about smart swaps, simple solutions and healthy hacks that make your holiday favorites healthier for you and your family. Food is a huge part of holiday celebrations: from baking homemade treats to serving multi- course feasts. That’s why we’re sharing ways to keep the joy of your traditional dishes while bringing them up-to-date with better nutrition. Read on for inspiring recipes for a happy (and healthier) holiday!
No-Bake Creamy Pumpkin Pie
Prep time: 15 minutes (2 hours chill time extra) | Makes 12 servings
- 8 sheets chocolate graham crackers (32 crackers)
- 2 tbsp. turbinado (raw) sugar
- 3 tbsp. reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp. skim milk
- 8 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 3 tbsp. sorghum syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Whipped cream (optional)
- For the crust: Coarsely break graham crackers, and place in a food processor. Add sugar; process until fine crumbs form. Add cream cheese and milk; process just until combined. Press dough evenly into bottom and lower sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Place in freezer at least 1 hour.
- For the filling: In a large mixing bowl and using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat together cream cheese, pumpkin, sorghum syrup, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon until well combined. Spread evenly in pie shell. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Garnish with whipped cream (if desired).
Per serving: 110 calories, 4g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 3g protein
Greek Yogurt Brownies
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 40 mins | Total: 55 mins | Makes 24 brownies
- Cooking spray
- 1¼ cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, fluffed with whisk or fork before measuring
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) Cabot Salted Butter, cut into pieces
- 4 1-ounce squares unsweetened chocolate
- 2¼ cups sugar
- ½ cup Cabot Vanilla Bean Lowfat Greek Yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Coat 13-by-9-inch baking dish lightly with cooking spray.
- Whisktogether flour and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Combine butter and chocolate in large heat-proof bowl; set over saucepan of barely simmering water and stir often until melted and combined. Remove from heat. Whisk sugar into chocolate mixture, then whisk in yogurt and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Mix in the flour mixture and combine completely. Spread batter into prepared dish.
- Bakefor 40 to 50 minutes or just until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached. Set on wire rack to cool completely. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts (1/24 of recipe): Calories: 195 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 4.5g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 70mg Carbohydrates: 28g Dietary Fiber: 1g Protein: 3g
Coconut Sugar–Lemon Bars
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes (Cooling time extra plus 1 hour chill time extra)| Makes 16 squares
- 3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp. white whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (from approximately 2 lemons)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8×8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- For the crust: In a large bowl combine 3⁄4 cup flour, 1⁄4 cup coconut sugar, plus salt. Stir in butter and canola oil until mixture is crumbly. Press dough evenly into prepared baking pan. Bake 15 minutes or until firm to the touch and lightly browned.
- For the lemon filling: In a medium bowl whisk together 3⁄4 cup coconut sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, plus lemon zest and juice, vanilla, eggs and egg white until smooth. Pour mixture evenly over hot crust.
- Bake at 350°F 15 to 18 minutes or until set. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour. Cut into squares with a knife lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray. Dust bars with powdered sugar right before serving. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 105 calories, 4g fat, 1g saturated fat, 30mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 2g protein
Holiday Meal Makeovers
Squash And Cherry-Stuffed Turkey
Preparation Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Servings: 4
- 2 Tbs ShopRite® Imported Olive Oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup chopped baby kale
- 1 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta
- 2 (8-oz.) turkey cutlets, pounded to a 1/4-inch thickness
- 3/4 cup ShopRite® Lower Sodium Chicken Broth
- For the filling, in a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Add onion and squash; sauté 4 minutes or until squash is tender. Add cherries, kale and sage to skillet; sauté 1 minute. Stir in feta.
- Season both sides of cutlets with pepper to taste. Spoon filling evenly onto each cutlet, and spread out in an even layer. Starting at a short end, roll cutlets up and over filling to enclose. Secure with kitchen twine.
- In same skillet heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add cutlets; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until browned on all sides. Reduce heat to low; stir in broth. Cover and simmer 12 to 14 minutes or until heated through (165F). Transfer to a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Discard twine. Carefully cut turkey into slices, and serve with pan drippings.
Lighter Mashed Potatoes
Servings: 4 | Preparation Time:5 minutes | Cook Time:15 minutes
- 4 cups Green Giant® Cauliflower Crumbles or 1 large cauliflower head, cored and cut into small florets
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and finely diced
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbs butter, softened
- Place cauliflower and potato in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain; place vegetables in a large bowl.
- Using an immersion blender, purée hot vegetables with chicken broth, garlic, butter, and pepper to taste until almost smooth. Serve warm.
Per serving: 120 calories, 3.5g fat, 2g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 6g protein
Creamy Root Vegetable Soup
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Serves 4
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 lb. parsnips, peeled, trimmed and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 large carrots, peeled, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 (14-oz.) pkg. silken tofu, drained and cut into pieces
- Finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add parsnips, carrots, pumpkin pie spice and broth; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 to 18 minutes or until vegetables are fork-tender. Stir in tofu.
- Working in batches, ladle mixture into a blender; blend until smooth. Transfer soup to a clean pot; season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover, and cook over low heat 5 minutes or until heated through. Ladle into soup bowls, sprinkle with parsley (if desired), and serve.
Per serving: 170 calories, 5g fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 5g protein
Balsamic Grilled Cherry Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 4 minutes | Makes 4 servings
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 5 cups mixed greens
- 1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries (1 pint)
- 1/4 cup chopped, roasted unsalted pistachios
- 3 oz. crumbled goat cheese (optional)
- In a small bowl whisk together balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, salt and pepper until sugar and salt are dissolved. Add olive oil, whisking constantly, until combined.
- Place cherries in a medium bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of the balsamic mixture, reserving remainder for later use. Preheat grill to medium (300°F to 350°F). Place cherries in a foil pan, and place pan directly on grill rack. Grill 4 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- In a large salad bowl combine grilled cherries, mixed greens, blueberries, pistachios and (if desired) goat cheese. Drizzle with remaining balsamic dressing, and serve immediately.
Per serving: 185 calories, 11g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 3g protein
Filet with Tarragon and Penne Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Serves 4; makes 1 cup pasta salad per serving
- 2 tsp. lemon zest and 2 tbsp. juice from 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 1/2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. light mayonnaise
- 8 oz. dried whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped red onion, rinsed under cold water
- 4 (4-oz.) filet mignon steaks (about 1 1/4-inches thick)
- For the dressing, in a medium bowl whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, canola oil, yogurt, vinegar, tarragon, honey and mayonnaise.
- Cook pasta just past the al dente stage according to package directions. Rinse under cold water; drain. Place pasta in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms to bowl with pasta. Stir in peas, celery and onion. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of the dressing; toss to combine.
- Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to high (400°F to 450°F). Season steaks with salt and pepper to taste. Grill 4 to 5 minutes per side (145°F for medium-rare) or to desired doneness. Transfer to a platter; let stand 5 minutes. Place steaks on individual plates. Serve with pasta salad and (if desired) additional dressing.
Per serving: 620 calories, 29g fat, 6g saturated fat, 75mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 15g total sugars, 6g added sugars, 38g protein
Italian Pork Crostini
Prep Time: 15 minutes| Cook Time: 36 minutes | Makes: about 20 appetizers
- 1 Smithfield® Prime All Natural Pork Tenderloin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 long baguette, cut into ½-inch thick slices
- Balsamic glaze
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Heat oven to 425°F. Rub all sides of tenderloin with olive oil and place on rack in shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper evenly over entire tenderloin. Roast 25 to 30 minutes per pound until internal temperature reaches 150°F. Remove pork from oven and let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Cut pork into very thin slices.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, remaining 1 tablespoon Italian herb mix and ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and onion powder until well combined. Set aside.
- Place baguette slices on large baking sheet and bake at 425°F for 2 to 4 minutes per side while tenderloin is standing.
- To assemble, spread about 1 tablespoon ricotta cheese mix on one side of each baguette slice; top with thin slices of pork. Garnish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze and parsley.
Nutrition Information per Crostini
Calories 160, Total Fat 3.5 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Sodium 170 mg, Carbohydrates 20 g, Sugars 0 g, Protein 12 g
Parmesan Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 tsp Smart Balance® Cooking Oil
- 14 oz (1 package) fresh medium sized mushrooms
- 1 tbsp minced shallots
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach (wilted, then minced)
- 1 tbsp minced roasted peppers or pimentos
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Smart Balance® Non-Stick Cooking Spray – Original
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a baking pan with Smart Balance® Non-Stick Cooking Spray.
- In a small skillet, heat 1 tsp Smart Balance® Cooking Oil. When hot, add baby spinach and cook until it wilts, about 2 minutes.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and mince finely. Set mushroom caps aside.
- Mince sautéed spinach and combine with mushroom stems, pepper, shallots, garlic, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly season mushrooms caps with salt. Fill with spinach mixture, rounding tops off – you will have a lot of filling to really stuff them. Place on baking tray and lightly spray with Smart Balance® Non-Stick Cooking Spray.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
Super Spice Lean Latte
- 1 ½ cups skim milk
- ½ cup strong brewed Eight O’Clock Infusions Super Spice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Heat skim milk and froth using a milk frother*.
- Pour coffee into mug.
- Holding froth back with a spoon, pour milk into mug followed by froth.
- Stir in honey and cinnamon to taste.
Almond Cherry Granola
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Makes 16 servings
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Mix brown sugar, egg whites, oil, cinnamon and vanilla in small bowl until well blended. Set aside.
- Place oats and almonds in large bowl. Add egg white mixture; toss until evenly coated. Spread evenly on foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Bake 30 minutes, stirring halfway through cook time. Cool completely on wire rack. Stir in dried cherries. Store in airtight container up to 1 week.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 142 Calories, Fat 6g, Saturated Fat 1g, Protein 3g, Carbohydrates 19g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 9mg, Fiber 3g
Whole Wheat Cranberry Pancakes
Yield: 8 medium pancakes
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup minus 1 T, whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger or fresh ginger
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 c whole cranberries (8-10 per pancake)
- maple syrup to taste
- 1/4 c white chocolate wafers, melted
- 1/8 c pistachios, chopped
- 3 loose Tablespoons lemon zest
- Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for a few minutes. Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Whisk egg and melted butter into the milk mixture.
- Pour the wet and dry mixes together and whisk until lumps are gone. DO NOT over mix.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add a little butter. Pour 1/4 c of batter to form pancakes.
- When bubbles appear and the edges of the pancake start to darken drop the whole cranberries into the pancake. Flip immediately.
Toppings: Melt white chocolate wafers in the microwave in 20 second intervals, whisking in between until thoroughly melted. Drizzle with fork or knife on top of pancake stack, or for more precision, place into a piping bag. Add lemon zest and chopped pistachios to the top of the stack. Add maple syrup if desired.