Search results for: "coffee"
By Cheryl Krementz
The Four Questions are the cornerstone of the Passover Seder. Traditionally asked by the youngest child at the table, they elicit explanations about the significance of the eight-day festival that commemorates the Jews’ exodus from Egypt.
As joyous and engaging as the ceremonial meal can be, Seder guests (and not only the kids!) usually have an all-important Fifth Question on their mind: What’s for dessert?
Given Passover’s parameters of eschewing all food made with flour, dessert is a particularly tough part of the Seder menu to get right. No worries. This flavorful Chocolate Coffee Torte does the trick.
Dense, delicious and—bonus!—naturally gluten-free, the torte has just enough of a java jolt to get everyone’s attention. Top it with homemade whipped cream or sprinkle it with powdered sugar, almond slivers and/or fresh berries for an unforgettable finish to Seder 2016.
Flourless Chocolate Coffee Torte
What you’ll need:
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 18 oz. Kosher for Passover bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup salted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup strong-brewed coffee (your choice of caffeinated, decaf or half-caf)
- 8 ½-inch springform pan, lined with parchment and generously buttered or sprayed with Kosher for Passover cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In small saucepan, stir coffee and sugar over medium heat until sugar dissolves completely. Set aside.
- In the top of a double boiler, melt chocolate chunks over low heat until smooth, stirring constantly.
- Transfer melted chocolate into bowl. With mixer, beat in butter in pieces. On a lower speed, beat in the coffee/sugar mixture.
- Beat in eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared springform pan and bake for 45 minutes. The edges should ultimately look more done than the center, which will set as the cake cools.
- After the cake reaches room temperature, cover and refrigerate it. Unlock springform mold before serving cake chilled.
Are you planning to make a Valentine’s Day dinner for your special someone?
Valentine’s Day is certainly a popular day for dinner reservations but why not create the perfect meal at home for a fraction of the cost without sacrificing flavor or taste? (more)...
I am a very busy mommy of four active children. This means that our mornings start early and I always need an immediate jump start. COFFEE is a priority every morning and I have to admit I am a bit picky about my “coffee choices”. Brand names, quite truthfully, have nothing to do with it. I have found that if you’re a coffee drinker, beer drinker, wine drinker, etc., you tend to stick with a “kind” that you like. That’s the case for me at least. (more)...
Planning and cooking an Easter meal for your family and loved ones can get pretty stressful; keep things simple when it comes to your Easter dessert table with a little help from your local ShopRite Bakery!
With the hectic holiday season upon us, it can seem overwhelming to stick to your health and wellness goals. We asked our Registered Dietitians for their favorite ways to enjoy the holidays without overindulging and they came back with party appetizers and stocking stuffers to satisfy any holiday health nut!
Autumn is in full swing, and with it comes some of our favorite holidays! Halloween and Thanksgiving are of course on everyone’s minds, but we’ve got autumn desserts that are perfect for simple fall birthdays, autumn parties, or even a coffee date with a few close friends! Stop by your local ShopRite to find these delectable treats while the season lasts.